I live in a really old apartment building in the heart of a crucial city. These buildings are where the affordable housing can be located, since no in government is absolutely checking up on their building codes or maintenance checks. Often, these ancient building’s oil gas furnaces haven’t even worked properly in years, and there is never any type of cooling system to speak of. It allows proprietors to keep their rents low, since they suppose that it is not likely for any of their occupants to report the issues in the buildings. They need the low rent as much as the proprietor needs a renter. But, last year both of us had a huge scare in our apartments that changed everything. A young person was using an ancient portable electric gas furnace in her studio apartment. The building was unquestionably drafty and constantly chilly. Most of the occupants knew that you had to be absolutely careful with any type of portable heater, since you could burn down the entire building. One evening she had fallen asleep with her gas furnace turned on high. The studio was getting very hot. Her bestie was calling her all evening long with no answer. He became worried and finally decided to go see if she was ok. When the cops arrived, they could smell the heat and broke down the door. They called 911 immediately as they saw she was insensible. There was a small carbon monoxide leak in the gas furnace that she didn’t know about. It nearly killed her as she was breathing in the toxic heat. After that, the government got involved. But, luckily not a single tenant got evicted. Instead they made the owner outfit the building with real Heating, Ventilation, and A/C systems.