I live in a decrepit old building in the heart of a sizable city. These buildings are where the affordable housing is found, since there is no one in government who is really checking up on their building codes or repair checks. Often, these old building’s gas heating systems haven’t even worked in years, plus there is never any type of air conditioner to speak of. It allows landlords to keep their rents low, and since they suppose that it is not likely for any of their tenants to report them. They need the low rent as much as the landlord needs a renter. Just last year, though, the two of us had a sizable issue in our building that made the news. A young lady was using an old portable electric heating system in her studio apartment. The building was very drafty plus often cold. Most of the tenants knew that you had to be really careful with any type of portable heater, since you could blow out the entire building. One night, she had fallen asleep with her heating system turned on very high. The studio apartment was getting really hot. Her boyfriend was calling her all night long with no answer. He became distraught plus finally decided to go check on her. When the cops arrived, they could feel the heat in the room plus broke down the door. They called 911 instantly as they saw she had passed out. There was a small carbon monoxide leak in the heating system that she didn’t know about. It nearly killed her as she was breathing in the toxic heat. After that, the department of health got involved. But, luckily no one got evicted. Instead, they made the owner outfit the building with real Heating plus Air Conditioning systems.